[Mailman-Developers] python 2.2.3 -> python 2.3.2 upgrade and mailman 2.1.2

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Nov 10 09:26:23 EST 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 04:14, PieterB wrote:

> I upgraded my Python from 2.2.3 to Python 2.3.2. Now Mailman's
> Qrunner sometimes gives the following error(s):
>
> python in free(): warning: page is already free
> python in free(): warning: page is already free
>
> Should I recompile/install/upgrade mailman when upgrading the python
> version?  Are there any issues in upgrading mailman 2.1.2 -> mailman
> 2.1.3 (UPGRADING file doesn't say so).

You shouldn't have to recompile Mailman when upgrading Python, unless
your Python 2.3 lives in a different place.  E.g. say you were using
Python 2.2.3 in /usr/local/bin/python and you installed Python 2.3 as an
altinstall in /usr/local/bin/python2.3.  You want to make sure that the
path to Python specified in things like your crontab match the Python
that you're using on the command line.

OTOH, we don't have any C extensions (I haven't checked the Asian
codecs), so upgrading Python should be pain free.  It was for me when I
upgraded from 2.2.3 to 2.3.2.

> Are there any known problems with mailman 2.1.3 and python 2.3.x
> INSTALL-file mentions: "Currently Python 2.1.3 or Python 2.2.1 is
> recommended"

Updated.

> Maybe it's good to mention the Python dependencies and preferred
> version on http://www.list.org/download.html

Added, and it'll show up on the websites next time I push out the pages.

> Pieter
> BTW: I noticed The GNU site doesn't have the latest mailman available.

Hmm, I definitely sent them information about install it.  Maybe you can
drop their webmaster a note about it?