[Mailman-Developers] How to use real virtual hosting?

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Tue Mar 18 19:45:34 EST 2003

> We want for example these (different!) lists:
>
>   team1 at volleybalclub.dse.nl  and  team1 at soccerclub.dse.nl
>
> The aliases needed for these mailing lists are stored in the same
> alias file and so they cannot exist together.

On one of my servers, we solve this problem by having, say, list at host1 and
list at host2 actually be called "host1" and "host2" in Mailman, but we have
mail aliases that make list at host1 and list at host2 work, and the appropriate
setting to let Mailman know that list at host1 and list at host2 are appropriate
posting addresses for lists host1 and host2 respectively.

In our case, it's only the actual posting addresses where we want the same
name, but it wouldn't be too hard to extend this to hide more than just the
one address.

You could probably do something similar by naming your mailing lists
team1_volleyball and team1_soccer and then setting up the appropriate
mailing aliases so that team1 at volleyballclub.dse.nl and
team1 at soccerclub.dse.nl work as expected (similarly for
team1-request at volleyballclub.dse.nl, etc.)  If you don't like having the
longer urls that'll result, you could also make
http://volleybalclub.dse.nl/mailman/listinfo/team1 equivalent to