[Mailman-Developers] installation path

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net
Tue Mar 18 17:00:34 EST 2003

Apologies for the late reply, it seems the message was stuck in the approval
queue.

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 11:31:33AM +0800, syed wrote:

> >From the documentation, the default installation path is /home/mailman.
> It is practical we install mailman in /home/mailman or we should install
> it at other location? (e.g /var/www/html) Or do you have special
> installation path to install mailman. I'm asking this silly question
> because i'm quiet confuse when other software(actually i'm trying to setup
> savannah) always asking me where is mailman cgi-bin path?

The default installation path was /home/mailman in Mailman 2.0 and earlier,
but is /usr/local/mailman for Mailman 2.1 and later. However, you can easily
change that (using the --prefix argument to configure) and you can split off
parts of the installation by using, e.g., the --exec-prefix and
--with-var-prefix arguments to configure. The default paths, including the
cgi-bin path, and how you can change them, are all explained in the
installation manual. The cgi-bin path is {prefix}/cgi-bin by default (so, if
you have Mailman 2.1 and the default $prefix, it would be
/usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin.)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>