[Mailman-Developers] Re: Tracebacks from Mailman v2.1 in Debian/Testing

Ross Boylan RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org
Sat Jun 28 14:12:26 EDT 2003

On Sat, Jun 28, 2003 at 12:44:44PM -0400, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-06-28 at 12:12, J C Lawrence wrote:
> > Barry,
> >
> > Using the Debian 2.1.2-2 package I get the floowing tracebacks on
> > attempted subscribes:
> >
> >   File "/var/lib/mailman/scripts/driver", line 87, in run_main
> >     main()
> >   File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Cgi/subscribe.py", line 96, in main
> >     process_form(mlist, doc, cgidata, language)
> >   File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Cgi/subscribe.py", line 176, in process_form
> >     mlist.AddMember(userdesc, remote)
> >   File "/var/lib/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 831, in AddMember
> >     text=text, lang=lang)
> >   File "/var/lib/mailman/Mailman/Message.py", line 206, in __init__
> >     errors='replace')
> >   TypeError: __init__() got an unexpected keyword argument 'errors'
>
> Something's wrong with the Mailman installation.  I'm suspecting that
> the email package didn't get installed correctly and Message.py is using
> the email.Header module from whatever version of Python you're using.
> Look under /var/lib/mailman/pythonlib to see if email 2.5.x is
> installed.
I can confirm that email is not installed properly.  My debian/testing
installation (apt-get upgrade) failed with

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/var/lib/mailman/bin/list_lists", line 47, in ?
    from Mailman import MailList
  File "/var/lib/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 39, in ?
    import email.Iterators
ImportError: No module named email.Iterators

I thought this was because I've been messing around with mailman
locally, but it seems not.

I filed a Debian bug about the installation problem, though I haven't
got a confirmation back.