[Mailman-Developers] Re: Tracebacks from Mailman v2.1 in Debian/Testing

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sat Jun 28 17:45:20 EDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-06-28 at 12:12, J C Lawrence wrote:
> Barry,
>
> Using the Debian 2.1.2-2 package I get the floowing tracebacks on
> attempted subscribes:
>
>   File "/var/lib/mailman/scripts/driver", line 87, in run_main
>     main()
>   File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Cgi/subscribe.py", line 96, in main
>     process_form(mlist, doc, cgidata, language)
>   File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Cgi/subscribe.py", line 176, in process_form
>     mlist.AddMember(userdesc, remote)
>   File "/var/lib/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 831, in AddMember
>     text=text, lang=lang)
>   File "/var/lib/mailman/Mailman/Message.py", line 206, in __init__
>     errors='replace')
>   TypeError: __init__() got an unexpected keyword argument 'errors'

Something's wrong with the Mailman installation.  I'm suspecting that
the email package didn't get installed correctly and Message.py is using
the email.Header module from whatever version of Python you're using.
Look under /var/lib/mailman/pythonlib to see if email 2.5.x is
installed.

I've seen this before and it always comes down to some Python
rpm/package not being installed, usually a -devel one that contains the
distutils package.  For this and other reasons, I'm going to try to
rework the way the email and codecs packages are bundled in Mailman
2.1.3.  I want them (at the very least the email package) to be included
as source files, not as tgz's that need to be distutils installed.  I
hope to have time to spin 2.1.3 tomorrow.