[Mailman-Developers] More efficient processing of unknown addresses possible?

Charlie Clark charlie at begeistert.org
Thu Jul 31 19:22:02 EDT 2003

Dear list,

I was going through the bounce log and came across a few lines which made
me scratch my head:

Jul 30 19:09:55 2003 (16079) bounce message with non-members of mail-news:
 	lucinda.healey at chhm.com

Jul 30 19:24:15 2003 (16079) bounce message with non-members of mail-news:
 ".slob85"@hotmail.com

checking the addresses indiviually I found that they were part of our
lists. So I did some research (asked the local guru) who passed me
following snippet.

         if not foundp:
             # It means an address was recognized but it wasn't an address
             # that's on any mailing list at this site.  BAW: don't forward
             # these, but do log it.
             syslog('bounce', 'bounce message with non-members of %s: %s',
                    listname, COMMASPACE.join(addrs))

Quite clearly to me the addresses in question need to be stripped() and
unquoted when compared with existing addresses; it seems quoting is
necessary for all addresses which begin or end in "." This might improve
Mailman's bounce recognition considerably. There were other things I came
across which might also be possible but would require considerably more
complex to implement.

I'm not very good with CVS or code in general so I would have to submit a
function or module patch en bloc to someone who knows what to do with it.

Charlie