[Mailman-Developers] Interfacing to Mailman data

Chris Boulter chris at jellybaby.net
Wed Jul 30 19:38:28 EDT 2003

On Mon 2003-07-28 11:29:52 -0400, Kevin McCann wrote:
> A while ago I mentioned that I was interfacing with Mailman (via PHP) by
> issuing the /bin commands and parsing the results.

I get the feeling a lot of people are doing this.

> What about having interface-friendly versions of these commands? So,
> instead of executing the /bin/list_lists command and getting ...
> ... I could instead execute a different command and get a
> comma-delimited list.

This would help with your parsing, but isn't as good as a proper API.
Mailman 3 should address this problem, from Barry's postings in this thread:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-developers/2003-July/thread.html#15383

So, as the other poster who replied to your mail said, you could address the
problem yourself and try to contribute your improvements, but it doesn't
sound like they'll be useful for Mailman in the longer run.

Incidentally, as far as list_lists goes, the --bare parameter will give you
output which is more machine-friendly than the default.

--
Write friendlier email : http://www.math.fu-berlin.de/~guckes/mail/edit.html
Certify your signature : http://sig.jellybaby.net/           [101f42d9ex623]