[Mailman-Developers] Storing additional user data

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Thu Jul 10 15:48:46 EDT 2003

On Thursday, July 10, 2003, at 02:42  PM, Barry Warsaw wrote:

> I'm not against a command line interface that meets your needs, if
> that's the most expedient way to hook Mailman up to foreign systems.

Here's how you implement it in five minutes:

1) disable all of the mailman web pages.

2) wherever you're storing your subscription data, set it to export a
list of subscribed addresses once an hour, with whatever detail info
(digest mode, etc) you wnat/need to give Mailman.

3) once an hour, lock the server, programmatically zero the subscriber
list inside mailman and do a bulk load of each list, then unlock.

4) write a script that processes ~mailman/logs/bounce once a day and
feeds bounce data back to the subscription management program.

5) modify the lists List-* and header/footer data to point to the
subscription management as needed.

At a simple level, you can do this stuff today. But it'd be nice if 2-4
were more granular and integrated, but you can, in fact, suck the guts
out of Mailman and use it as a delivery tool only...