[Mailman-Developers] poor choice of words on list overview page

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Wed Jan 29 11:51:18 EST 2003

In Mailman 2.1, the cgi which gives the list of available mailing
lists says something like this:

> Below is a listing of all the public mailing lists on
> lists.samba.org. Click on a list name to get more information about
> the list, or to subscribe, unsubscribe, and change the preferences on
> your subscription. To visit the general information page for an
> unadvertised list, open a URL similar to this one, but with a '/' and
> the list name appended.

> List administrators, you can visit the list admin overview page to
> find the management interface for your list.

> Send questions or comments to mailman at lists.samba.org

A few people persistently interpret the "send questions or comments"
as meaning "send samba user questions" rather than "send questions or
comments about the mailing lists".  This seems to happen a couple of
times a week.

(Fairly reliably the people who make this mistake also send mail that
is lacking in any useful detail and is therefore pretty pointless
anyhow, but nevertheless they have to be forwarded or bounced.)

I think a better phrasing would be something like

  "Please send problem reports about the mailing list to %s"

Ideally this text might be a per-site customization, rather than
hardcoded in Mailman/Cgi/listinfo.py.  I have fixed it there for the
time being.

--
Martin