[Mailman-Developers] Re: Anti-Virus

David Gibbs david at midrange.com
Wed Jan 8 20:22:13 EST 2003

"Rodolfo Pilas" <rodolfo at pilas.net> wrote in message
news:1042071119.1373.76.camel at localhost...
> Today when I send a message to a mailinglist of users of my server I
> have the problem that the AnomySanitizer and AntiVirus scan each copy of
> message for each user.  This causes a very important overload for the
> server.

I had the same quandry ... I was able to solve the problem by setting up
multiple instances of sendmail ... one instance listening only on 127.0.0.1,
which handled the mailman traffic and didn't do any virus scanning  (I use
MailScanner), and another instance listening on my other IP's (which does
scan for viruses).

When mail comes in from the outside, it gets scanned for viruses and handed
off to Mailman.  When mailman processes the message, it does NOT get
scanned, because mailman connects on 127.0.0.1.

Although I don't know how you would do it with Postfix, I'm sure it can be
done.

The scanner I use is MailScanner (http://www.mailscanner.info) ... it
supports postfix, so you might be able to get information there on how to
implement using your scanner.

david