[Mailman-Developers] English (USA)

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Apr 24 04:25:47 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-04-23 at 16:19, Fil wrote:
> In our project, SPIP (www.uzine.net/spip), we're using a similar list,
> but in which every language is identified in its own writing. When two
> translations belong to the same ISO family, we just use the branches pt_BR
> and pt_PT, whereas when only one translation belongs to the family we use
> just the family code (and name), unflavoured. This can help groups join in a
> common effort, then split *if* needed. (However, we don't have that much
> experience to say if it works; but it's really an exciting process).

Interesting, you'll have to let us know how it works. :)

> BTW, and slightly off-topic, the usual translation tools were really too
> clumsy to use (you can't expect translators to know which one to choose, and
> to install it and understand it -- at least it raises the bar too high --,
> plus you want to have a team effort, so you need people to be able to tap
> the same translation database). We finally decided to build a translation
> website with lists of "strings awaiting for translation" in every language,
> and a web interface to edit them. It works really well.

We have plans to do something similar, initially for Zope, but ideally
(at least in my mind) open source projects in general:

http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/TranslationWebService

Now we'll see if we get some free time to actually work on this. ;)