[Mailman-Developers] Re: Reply-To munging & member_aliases

Alan K. Stebbens aks at stebbens.org
Tue Apr 22 16:25:20 EDT 2003

TN> The per-member patch that I WOULD like to see added is member_aliases -
TN> a list of alternate addresses under which a given member posts. "Address
TN> creep" is a daily plague, and it's not adequately answered by creating
TN> nomail "ghost members" or stuffing the accept_these_nonmembers pool,
TN> because when people leave things get out of sync. If the per-user
TN> options screen allowed both user and admin to edit an alias list, and if
TN> we wrote a little add_member_alias script, things would go a lot easier.

I agree with this suggestion.

If you check out "www.topica.com", the following functionality is provided:

 a. multiple addresses per person

 b. when a person is subscribed to a list, a submission from *any* of a
    that person's email aliases is acceptable

 c. for each subscriber, each list has a designated *primary* distribution
    address -- one of the subscriber's email aliases

I was thinking of hacking Mailman to support this functionality, but was
going to first ask if it might already be "in the works".  Is it?

--
Best regards,
 Alan K. Stebbens <aks at stebbens.org>   (Voice/Fax: +1.866.579.0801)

Wear me as a seal upon your heart, as a seal upon your arm; for love
is strong as death, passion cruel as the grave; it blazes up like
blazing fire, fiercer than any flame.

-- [Song of Solomon 8:6 (NEB)]