[Mailman-Developers] Re: Mailman-Developers English (USA)

Charlie Clark charlie at begeistert.org
Tue Apr 22 16:30:42 EDT 2003

Barry was (w)riting:

> Since John, Ken, and I are all American, I think it's only mildly
> surprising <wink> that all the source code human readable text, and the
> en templates are written in American English.

I think there's an oxymoron in there somewhere! as American English !=
human readable <wink>.

Going back to what the real problem with the "language" selection is: a
conflation of user interface elements (user-language settings) and the
code-page settings. The two things need to be kept separate and both should
be configurable. We just had an "interesting" situation where a UTF-8 body
gets a plain text MIME attachment for the footer and as we couldn't find a
way in Mailman to enforce UTF-8 for the whole mail had to find a
work-around outside of Mailman, ie. insert the footer in body. Being able
to set the code page for a list would seem to make sense.

What are the lists thoughts on this issue?

Charlie