[Mailman-Developers] Umbrella and nested lists moderation requests

HINSHAW,JERRY L (HP-Boise,ex1) jerry.hinshaw at hp.com
Tue Apr 15 06:32:09 EDT 2003

HI,

	SORRY to send this to developers directly. This question is still
awaiting approval to the Mailman users list.

	I want to create an umbrella list (a list with ONLY lists nested
within it). The top level list is simply named top. The nested lists are
injerry, inclint, and incat. I have mailman-v2.1.1 installed and is the
FIRST mailman to be installed on these servers. I have reviewed the FAQs and
the mailing lists archives, which currently only address ensuring unique
mail addresses are in the nested lists.

	I have currently set ALL lists (top, injerry, incat, and inclint)
with NO Moderation and accepting from everyone. If I mail to any one of the
nested (injerry, incat, and inclint) lists as anyone the message delivers no
problems. HOWEVER when I send to the umbrella list (top) the List owner of
the nested lists (injerry, incat, and inclint) get a message indicating
moderation is required for the message sent. Have a missed something or is
this incorrect behavior??

	BELOW is the config_list output of the parameters I think are
important. Attached is the complete config_list output for the umbrella list
(top) and a nested list (injerry). Also is the mm_cfg.py settings for the
site.

	Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jerry

TOP Level List (Umbrella List)
bash-2.04$ grep member top | grep -v "^#" umbrella_member_suffix = '-owner'
new_member_options = 256 default_member_moderation = 0
member_moderation_action = 0 member_moderation_notice = ''
accept_these_nonmembers = [] hold_these_nonmembers = []
reject_these_nonmembers = [] discard_these_nonmembers = []
generic_nonmember_action = 0

NESTED LIST
bash-2.04$ grep member injerry | grep -v "^#" umbrella_member_suffix =
'-owner' new_member_options = 256 default_member_moderation = 0
member_moderation_action = 0 member_moderation_notice = ''
accept_these_nonmembers = [] hold_these_nonmembers = []
reject_these_nonmembers = [] discard_these_nonmembers = []
generic_nonmember_action = 0

Mm_cfg.py settings other than virtual host which is set.
# Should a list, by default be advertised?  What is the default maximum
number # of explicit recipients allowed?  What is the default maximum
message size # allowed? DEFAULT_LIST_ADVERTISED = 1
DEFAULT_MAX_NUM_RECIPIENTS = 100000
DEFAULT_MAX_MESSAGE_SIZE = 0           # KB

# Are archives on or off by default?
DEFAULT_ARCHIVE = 0                               # 0=Off, 1=On

# Set this variable to 1 to allow list owners to delete their own mailing #
lists.  You may not want to give them this power, in which case, setting #
this variable to 0 instead requires list removal to be done by the site #
administrator, via the command line script bin/rmlist.
OWNERS_CAN_DELETE_THEIR_OWN_LISTS = 1

#####
# Digestification defaults
#####

# Will list be available in non-digested form? DEFAULT_NONDIGESTABLE = 1

# Will list be available in digested form?
DEFAULT_DIGESTABLE = 0
DEFAULT_DIGEST_IS_DEFAULT = 0

# This variable controls whether monthly password reminders are sent.
DEFAULT_SEND_REMINDERS = 0

# Send welcome messages to new users?  Probably should keep this set to 1.
DEFAULT_SEND_WELCOME_MSG = 0

# Send goodbye messages to unsubscribed members?  Probably should keep this
# set to 1. DEFAULT_SEND_GOODBYE_MSG = 0

# How long should messages which have delivery failures continue to be #
retried?  After this period of time, a message that has failed recipients #
will be dequeued and those recipients will never receive the message.
DELIVERY_RETRY_PERIOD = days(3)

# Should list members, by default, have their posts be moderated?
DEFAULT_DEFAULT_MEMBER_MODERATION = 0

# What shold happen to non-member posts which are do not match explicit #
non-member actions? # 0 = Accept # 1 = Hold # 2 = Reject # 3 = Discard
DEFAULT_GENERIC_NONMEMBER_ACTION = 0

# See "Bitfield for user options" below; make this a sum of those options,
to # make all new members of lists start with those options flagged.  We
assume # by default that people don't want to receive two copies of posts.
Note # however that the member moderation flag's initial value is controlled
by the # list's config variable default_member_moderation. # Bitfield for
user options.  See DEFAULT_NEW_MEMBER_OPTIONS above to set # defaults for
all new lists.
#Digests             = 0 # handled by other mechanism, doesn't need a flag.
#DisableDelivery     = 1 # Obsolete; use set/getDeliveryStatus()
#DontReceiveOwnPosts = 2 # Non-digesters only
#AcknowledgePosts    = 4
#DisableMime         = 8 # Digesters only
#ConcealSubscription = 16
#SuppressPasswordReminder = 32
#ReceiveNonmatchingTopics = 64
#Moderate = 128