[Mailman-Developers] blankety-blank AOL bounces (not accepting mail from...)

Jeff Hahn jeffh at gryphongardens.com
Thu Apr 10 14:09:11 EDT 2003

> I tell my AOL users that when they subscribe to a list, they agree to
> accept mail from the list. If they start generating bounces, they're
> going to get unsubscribed.
>
> I see this as a feature. AOL is basically broken. I don't see any
> reason to work around AOL's bugs in mailman.

On a philosophical level, I agree with you completely.  On a technical list,
I agree with you.  On a non-technical list, it's very difficult to enforce.

AOL is basically broken.  However, AOL is one of the two 600 pound guerillas
in this market/arena.  If we decide that we're not going to make adjustments
to make Mailman work with AOL (no matter who's "fault" it is), Mailman won't
get the critical mass of users necessary to survive.

AOL IS broken.  AOL won't change.  Do you want to survive or do you want to
be right??

-Jeff