[Mailman-Developers] blankety-blank AOL bounces (not accepting mail from...)

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Thu Apr 10 11:32:31 EDT 2003

On Thursday, April 10, 2003, at 10:26  AM, Jeff Hahn wrote:

> Mailman 2.1.1
>
> Apparently AOL has a "feature" that you can use to bounce email from
> certain
> senders.  See example below.  Aoluser123 (email address
> aoluser123 at aol.com)
> is not accepting mail from jkl at gryphongardens.com who has posted to
> list
> abc at gryphongardens.com in this example.
>
> On verped deliveries, this bounce is counted as a bounce for
> aoluser123 at aol.com
>
> On non-verped deliveries, this bounce is returned to list-owner as
> unrecognized.

I use verped delivery (with sendmail) and my mailman sees them as
bounces.

> While I like the idea of having the aol user bounce off, it's probably
> not
> the correct answer.  Probably all of these bounces (verped and
> non-verped)
> should be silently discarded.
>
> I guess this is a feature request/bug report.

I tell my AOL users that when they subscribe to a list, they agree to
accept mail from the list. If they start generating bounces, they're
going to get unsubscribed.

I see this as a feature. AOL is basically broken. I don't see any
reason to work around AOL's bugs in mailman.