[Mailman-Developers] here we go again... (are these headers really right?)

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 08:41:36 -0700

On Tuesday, October 15, 2002, at 12:29  AM, J C Lawrence wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Oct 2002 23:28:48 -0700
> Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui@plaidworks.com> wrote:
>
>> Here's the problem. From points to the author. To points to me. In
>> this case, they're both the same, but...
>
> Translation:
>
>   A post which was BCC'ed to a list.

Except that's not true.

I sent it To: my mailing list. The personalization removed that, and
replaced with with a To: to the individual on the maling list. Leaving
no linkage left back to the list for reply or reply-all to find.

In non-personalized mail, to To: address becomes the list. In
personalized, that linkage is nuked. That effectively is treating ALL
mail to the list as if it were BCCed to the list.

So reply is dead (I won't call it broken) if personalization is turned
on. I don't believe that's what my users are going to expect.

I know, I know, I'm calling for more configuration stuff, but... Is
there some way we can turn on personalization while leaving to/from/cc
in the old style setup? Just allow return-path and header/footer tweak
type stuff?

I just feel like if people start using personalization like this, it
won't be what they expect. the removal of the linkage back to the list
bothers me. If someone chooses to break the linkage with Bcc, great. If
not...

god, can we go back and shoot the guys who mis-designed reply-to?
doesn't do the "right" thing, either.

I guess another question would be this -- should the list regularlize
how headers are written to set it up so reply goes back to the author
and reply-all to the list? isn't that (barring a coerced reply to) how
most users are expecting things now?

>> Shouldn't the list be in the CC: line?
>
> Arguable.  It really depends on your view of BCCs and lists, and
> whether
> you consider them a Good and Useful thing, or an annoyance of the
> devil.  cf followup-to in netnews.

would be true, if I'd Bcc:ed the list. I explicitly didn't.

I guess I'm arguing that if I turn personalization on, it shouldn't
hcange how the systme handles to/from/cc -- and it does. And that's
going to cause unhappiness.

--
Chuq Von Rospach, Architech
chuqui@plaidworks.com -- http://www.plaidworks.com/chuqui/blog/

IMHO: Jargon. Acronym for In My Humble Opinion. Used to flag as an
opinion
something that is clearly from context an opinion to everyone except the
mentally dense. Opinions flagged by IMHO are actually rarely humble.
IMHO.
     (source: third unabridged dictionary of chuqui-isms).