[Mailman-Developers] here we go again... (are these headers really right?)

J C Lawrence claw@kanga.nu
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 00:29:23 -0700

On Mon, 14 Oct 2002 23:28:48 -0700
Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui@plaidworks.com> wrote:

> Here's the problem. From points to the author. To points to me. In
> this case, they're both the same, but...

Translation:

  A post which was BCC'ed to a list.

> I realize we're against co-ercing reply-to, but I think this has
> gotten a bit extreme.

> Shouldn't the list be in the CC: line?

Arguable.  It really depends on your view of BCCs and lists, and whether
you consider them a Good and Useful thing, or an annoyance of the
devil.  cf followup-to in netnews.

  The principle of minimum invasion (ie lists should dick with headers
  as little as possible) says that BCC'ed posts should stay BCC'ed.

  The principle or minimum surprise likely says (there's debate) that
  some version of a reply (and RFC 2369 probably doesn't count) should
  enclude the list.

You get to pick.

--
J C Lawrence