[Mailman-Developers] Cron error messages

bronto bronto@csd-bes.net
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 15:48:30 -0700

I've been getting some cron error messages, using v2.1b2 and then
2.1b3.  I posted this recently in the regular mailman list, but got
no help.  Maybe here?

Here's what I posted on September 23rd:

"I'm running Mailamn v2.1b2, and just got these errors sent to my email:

Subject: Cron <mailman@g3> /usr/bin/python2 -S
/usr/local/mailman/cron/gate_news

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/local/mailman/cron/gate_news", line 44, in ?
     from Mailman import MailList
ValueError: bad marshal data

/usr/local/mailman/cron/gate_news

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/local/mailman/cron/gate_news", line 44, in ?
     from Mailman import MailList
   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 65, in ?
     from Mailman.OldStyleMemberships import OldStyleMemberships
ValueError: bad marshal data

has stopped functioning to some degree.  I had set up this particular
list to be a simple personal archive of messages from another mailing
list I subscribe to.  It doesn't send anything, so I hadn't noticed
any problems.  While doing my mailman update to 2.1b3, I discovered
that no messages have been archived since the 23rd when I got the
above errors.  Snooping around the mailman directories, I see a ton
of files (several hundred) in the qfiles/shunt directory, dated since
9/23.  There are also a few dozen from 7/2, FWIW.  I'm betting this
isn't a coincidence, but know nothing more than that.

Today at 12 noon, I received the following cron error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/local/mailman/cron/gate_news", line 44, in ?
     from Mailman import MailList
   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 31, in ?
     import urllib
EOFError: EOF read where object expected