[Mailman-Developers] Another stupid question

Jay R. Ashworth jra@baylink.com
Wed, 22 May 2002 23:21:17 -0400

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 10:27:58PM -0400, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:
>     JRA> Defaults.py *has* a default email host and URL host... but
>     JRA> they didn't get picked up on the build for some reason; I had
>     JRA> to key them in manually.  Is there somewhere else they are?
>
> Did you key those in /after/ you created your test list?  If so, and
> if DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST was the empty string at the time you created
> your list, then I can see how your list's host_name attribute would be
> the empty string.  Remember that changing DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST after the
> fact doesn't update your list configs.

Can't remember it if I don't know it.  Thanks.

> So, you need to fix host_name (and probably web_page_url).  Only the
> former can be changed on the General admin page.  Both of course can
> be changed via withlist.

Or I can remove the list and reinstantiate it, right?

> Both DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST and DEFAULT_URL_HOST are calculated by
> configure, so look at your configure output to see if it got the right
> values or not.  If not, then you need to look seriously at your DNS
> setup, or your Python installation.  socket.getfqdn() better return
> the fully qualified domain name for your machine, or you've got
> problems, but they ain't in Mailman.

They came up empty.  Hostname had been set to a name with an underscore
in it, which didn't DNS.

>     JRA> Do I have to reinstall *again*?
>
> You should almost /never/ have to completely reinstall.  At worst you
> might have to re-run configure and "make install", and perhaps do a
> little fixup with withlist (if your configure screwed up and you
> didn't catch it until your created some lists).

Nah; it'll be easier to reinstall.

No real lists yet.

>     JRA> I'm losing my hair here...  <sigh>
>
> i-think-i'm-going-bald-ly y'rs,

<ass type="smart">

Cheers,
-- jra
Tampa Bay, Florida        http://baylink.pitas.com             +1 727 647 1274

   "If you don't have a dream; how're you gonna have a dream come true?"
     -- Captain Sensible, The Damned (from South Pacific's "Happy Talk")