[Mailman-Developers] GLOBAL_PIPELINE

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Fri, 17 May 2002 17:11:40 -0400

    DH> Looking at the end of the pipeline, the last three processes
    DH> are 'AfterDelivery', 'Acknowledge', and 'ToOutgoing'. From
    DH> reading the comments in the 'AfterDelivery' and 'Acknowledge'
    DH> source files I would have thought they should come after
    DH> 'ToOutgoing'.  Am i missing something in my logic??

You're probably correct.  Technically, I think the To* modules should
be the last things in GLOBAL_PIPELINE and the out qrunner's own
internal pipeline should call AfterDelivery and Acknowledge.  But in
practice I doubt it matters.

    DH> Also should there be a "," after the 'ToOutgoing' entry
    DH> below?? (just noticed that now).

It's optional!  That's actually one of the cool things about Python;
the trailing element in a list (or dict or tuple) can have a comma
after it.  Makes rearranging the list elements so much nicer for
cut-n-paste.  The one exception is for tuples with only one element:
they /must/ have the trailing comma:

   tupleone = (1,)

because (1) is syntactically ambiguous.

    DH> On a related note - I'm using a modified version of
    DH> Personalize.py but I'm not too sure about where in the
    DH> pipeline I should add it. Suggestions?  All it does it split
    DH> up the delivery so each envelope contains an email for exactly
    DH> one subscriber.

Are you looking at the current cvs?  The Personalize.py module is gone
now, SMTPDirect.py having subsumed all its functionality for
performance reasons.

-Barry