[Mailman-Developers] bin/qrunner picking up changes

Ron Jarrell jarrell@vt.edu
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 21:34:16 -0500

At 01:08 PM 3/29/02 -0500, Mentor Cana wrote:
>On Fri, 29 Mar 2002, at 09:52 -0800, John W Baxter wrote:
>  > >This could confuse lists owners who expect (rightfully so) to see the
>  > >changed footers or headers on their lists as soon as they save the
>  > >configuration. Should the "Submit Your Changes" button do a
> "bin/mailmanctl
>  > >restart" after successfully saving list's changes?
>  > >
>  > >(I'm not sure of this behavior is limited to headers and footers only)
>  > >
>  > The issue is bigger than presented above (I don't have a 2.1.anything
>  > installation to play with).
>  >
>  > But simply telling a list owner to run
>  >    bin/mailmanctl restart
>  > won't do the trick:  most list owners don't have the power to run that
>  > command (or any shell access at all).
>  >
>  > Therefore, I'm pretty sure a solution is in the works.
>
>My suggestions was that the "Submit Your Changes" button perform
>(transparently from the list owner) the "bin/mailmanctl restart" after
>saving the list configuration (if there was a change).

That could lead to havoc on a busy machine - imagine a site with
a couple of hundred lists - just 4-5 administrators making a couple of
changes here and there could cause dozens of restarts in a short period
of time.

A better, long term, solution, is for the qrunners to detect that changes
have happened in the files that contain structures they need, and for them
to either reinstantiate the strucutre if possible, or, if not, to
voluntarily restart themselves then.