[Mailman-Developers] big list

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Fri, 8 Mar 2002 12:15:32 -0500

    NM> Ideally you would make a copy in memory, ship it down the
    NM> delivery pipeline, then work on the next copy... really only
    NM> need a few copies actually in python memory at once (pretty
    NM> much just the number of outgoing delivery streams).

That's what I have in mind.

    NM> Of course as the MTA catches these its going to make a queue
    NM> file on disk for each one unless you can do this funky passing
    NM> the VERP stuff down the pipeline stuff thats been mentioned on
    NM> the list before.

It would be really cool if we could get a bunch of MTA authors
together (I only care about the open source ones <wink>) to define a
protocol for letting the MTA doing the stitching.  I think Postfix,
and probably Exim support a way to do this for the envelope sender,
but the really interesting bits happen when the body of the message
can be personalized.  The outgoing MTA's the most efficient place to
do this, but you have to get it the information it needs to chew on.

I know there's been some talk about subsuming the outgoing
functionality into MM, but I see such a bulk mailer/stitcher as a
separate project, that could be integrated into MM through a new
DELIVERY_MODULE.  I don't expect to have time to work on that myself,
so there's an opportunity for someone who wants to contribute.

-Barry