[Mailman-Developers] Please Allow Me To Introduce Myself...

James J. Besemer jb@cascade-sys.com
Wed, 06 Mar 2002 11:01:51 -0800

mac@wooz.org wrote:

> Cool!  Since I'm strapped for time right now, I'm just going to
> comment briefly.

Thanks for the various pointers.  Dunno how long before I'll be productive
(read Dangerous ;o).

> You'd think!  I've had a couple of patches contributed that filter out
> HTML, but I've not been able to whip them into shape for inclusion.
> I've basically given up hope for MM2.1, but will look at it again for
> the next release.  The problem is that the naive approach isn't
> difficult, but for it to be robust is much more difficult.

When you find more time I'd appreciate some more background on this.

Wanting to filter out HTML (nb. from AOL accounts) is the #1 gripe from my
users.

The Python library has an HTML parser that I've used before and it works
pretty well.  I used it to translate HTML to HTML, inserting data in
various named fields.  But removal of the HTML is the default action of
the code.  Of course you don't really want simply to remove it.  E.g.,
you'd want to include HREF's somehow, substitute the description for
images, etc.

In thinking about this since my first post, it occurrs to me that one
difficulty would be having two versions of one incoming post being
parceled out to a single list.  Now, I presume, you have a single file in
the queue.

I've been wrong before but this doesn't seem like brain surgery.

> such extra information ought to be kept in an
> external database like LDAP or some such.  Then those databases ought
> to be easily integrated into Mailman's rosters.

That makes perfect sense.

Thanks again for the other pointers.

[Now back to the paying customers....  ;o|

Regards

--jb

--
James J. Besemer  503-280-0838 voice