[Mailman-Developers] Python-2.2 disaster

Carson Gaspar carson@taltos.org
Tue, 05 Mar 2002 12:10:43 -0500

--On Tuesday, March 05, 2002 11:35 AM -0500 "Barry A. Warsaw"
<barry@zope.com> wrote:

> I, and lots of people, are using Python 2.2 today.  I do all my
> primary testing on Python 2.2, so I feel confident in recommending
> it.

FYI, 2.2 is completely DOA on Solaris 8/SPARC. After I got it to compile
(and gained more grey hair), it ends up hanging on SMTPlib.connect(),
somewhere in the bowels of hostname resolution. Either something is broken
in the IPv6 support in Python, or Sun has a library bug. I wouldn't take a
bet about whose fault it is ;-)

> Since you tell us nothing about what platform you're trying to build
> from, there's no way anyone can help you.  I regularly build on
> various Linux distros with no problem.

I apologize for the less-than-thorough bug report. There's a reason I
wrapped it in <rant></rant>. I'm trying Python 2.1.2 now - it compiled
cleanly, and as it's _socket module doesn't have IPv6 support, I hope I
won't run into whatever bug is making 2.2 hang.

--
Carson