[Mailman-Developers] Python-2.2 disaster

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 11:35:07 -0500

    CG> <rant> What !@#$% idiot did the python 2.2 build system!? It
    CG> bombs out trying to compile the extensions, because _someone_
    CG> got "clever" and decided to write the build system in
    CG> Python. And got it wrong. So it doesn't compile or link
    CG> properly. And after chasing through _8_ levels of indirection
    CG> without figuring out where it tries adding library arguments,
    CG> I just give up!  For those who care, it's going insane trying
    CG> to build _socket, and _curses, and probably something
    CG> else. _socket is trying to link against openssl, but my
    CG> openssl libraries aren't where it expects them to be, and if I
    CG> hand-edit setup.py (yes, hand-edit - ARRRRGH!) to put the
    CG> correct paths in, it still doesn't work, I suspect because
    CG> it's not using -R or setting LD_RUN_PATH. I haven't even
    CG> looked at the other errors yet.  </rant>

    CG> So, just how "recommended" is python 2.2? Can I just use my
    CG> python 2.0 installation until someone else makes this
    CG> nightmare go away?

I, and lots of people, are using Python 2.2 today.  I do all my
primary testing on Python 2.2, so I feel confident in recommending
it.  Note that Mailman 2.1 will work on Python 2.1.x or 2.2.x, but I
recently had to drop support for Python 2.0.x.

Since you tell us nothing about what platform you're trying to build
from, there's no way anyone can help you.  I regularly build on
various Linux distros with no problem.

-Barry