[Mailman-Developers] Missing footers with latest CVS

Ben Gertzfield che@debian.org
Tue, 05 Mar 2002 10:44:58 +0900

    Dan> Well, so, one of them has no charset expressed at all that I
    Dan> can see.

That means their charset is us-ascii.  Is the list set to some other
language?  Could you please post the configuration of the list, and
an example message without footer that was sent to the list?

Basically, we need to deal with the case where a list is configured
for something like iso-8859-2, but a user sends a message in
iso-8859-1, or utf-8, etc.  In these cases, we can't just tack the
footer on -- we'll get a garbage message!  We have to avoid adding
a footer if the charsets mismatch; no other way about it.

    Dan> Not really, if appropriate workaround is "ignore the incoming
    Dan> charset and add this footer unconditionally please".

But this is the worst thing you can do.  What happens when I post a
message in UTF-8 and then a Japanese ISO-2022-JP footer gets tacked
on?  Not good.

Ben

--
Brought to you by the letters X and G and the number 15.
"Tahiti is not in Europe."