[Mailman-Developers] Re: Initial Mailman v2.0 with TMDA and Mime filtering

JasonR.Mastaler JasonR.Mastaler
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 11:33:02 -0600

J C Lawrence <claw@kanga.nu> writes:

> I built the system with Mailman 2.0, TMDA 0.58, Exim v3, mimefilter,
> mimedecode, and procmail.

After reading through this, my only concern is that it will only
appeal to very few users.

* It's too Exim specific.  Exim is used less than Sendmail, Postfix or
  qmail.  It would be nice to come up with a more general HOWTO that
  covers integration with either Sendmail, Postfix or Exim.

* The mimefilter/mimedecode stuff is a distraction IMO, and not really
  relevant to the TMDA integration.

* If we can find a way to do this without procmail, that's a bonus.

That said, thanks for writing this up.  I think it's a good start, and
longer overdue.

>   I started out wanting and trying to use Postfix.  The core problem
>   I hit was making the filter process hung off the alias execute as
>   the right user.  I needed it to execute as the list user so it
>   would be able to read the Mailman list configurations to verify
>   subscribers from there.

In the qmail HOWTO I'm writing, TMDA is driven from ~mailman's .qmail
files, following the setup recommended in README.QMAIL.  This solves
the problem of access to the MM config.db files of course.

>   Getting the filter process to execute as 'list' under postfix
>   proved a bitch.

What user is the filter process executed as by default?

--
(http://tmda.net/)