[Mailman-Developers] Cute TMDA use

Donal Hunt Donal.Hunt2@mail.dcu.ie
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 10:01:22 +0100

mailman-developers-request@python.org wrote:
> Subject: Re: [Mailman-Developers] Cute TMDA use
> Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 22:29:29 -0400
> From: barry@python.org (Barry A. Warsaw)
> To: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui@plaidworks.com>
> CC: J C Lawrence <claw@kanga.nu>, <mailman-developers@python.org>
>
> Ah wait, I see what you're suggesting.  A confirmed non-member
> wouldn't get added to accept_these_nonmembers, but their message would
> not show up in the admindb until they've confirmed.
>
> The messages would be in a sort of limbo until them, with
> timeout/auto-discards if they don't confirm after a certain amount of
> time.  Once they've confirmed, we'll do the normal non-member action
> (although it would make little sense to go through this rigamarole if
> we're simply discarding or rejecting non-member postings).
>
> Maybe the admindb should have a button that would let them see all
> held message, including non-confirmed ones?  Perhaps that's a YAGNI.
>
> Have I got that right?  I'll think on it and try to decide whether
> it's worth adding to 2.1 or not.
>
> -Barry

The above would be great!!  We currently have a problem with students
(university environment) sending "spam" to hundreds of lists so they can
find a room mate!!

We've stopped it by reducing the number of lists a person can post to at
the same time.  However, the side effect is that the list admin (one for
all the student lists) gets mailed hundreds of times because there is
one pending message for each list!!!  So we wrote a script to clear the
pending messages log. :)

The above would be fierce handy as the list admin wouldn't get mailed
about unconfirmed emails until they were confirmed... And if someone got
200+ confirmation mails it's unlikely the messages would ever be seen by
the list admin.  "This would be a good thing"(tm). :)

The central userbase (if it included the admins too) would mean admins
would get one email about all the pending messages for their lists and
perhaps one webpage for confirming/rejecting (ie multiple list all on
the same page / login) would be excellent too.

Anyway... that's further down the road - let's keep our eye on the 2.1
ball!!

Donal
DCU