[Mailman-Developers] Re: Why both a .msg and .db in qfiles?

Barry A. Warsaw barry@python.org
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 12:30:30 -0400

    JRM> I'm confused.  Currently, MM has a plain text file containing
    JRM> the message headers/body and a marshal containing the
    JRM> metadata.

    JRM> Are you saying that previously, the metadata was contained in
    JRM> the text file, and the message headers/body in a pickle?

"Current" is a relative term. :)

Sticking to MM2.1, when the message first comes in from the MTA, it's
dumped into qfiles/in as a pickle file of the metadata and a plaintext
message file (header + body).  When the incoming qrunner first parses
it, and if the message ever gets re-queued (regardless of target queue
directory), it will (by default) write it out again as a metadata
pickle file and a pickle file of the parsed message object tree.

-Barry