[Mailman-Developers] Re: Why both a .msg and .db in qfiles?

JasonR.Mastaler JasonR.Mastaler
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 10:25:50 -0600

barry@python.org (Barry A. Warsaw) writes:

> Mostly historical.  When the current arrangement was designed
> (pre-email package) we had the pickle and a plain text file, so it
> was convenient to have two separate files.  We could probably
> combine then now except that it's more disruptive than I want for
> MM2.1.  Plus you have to decide whether the metadata will change
> more often than the message pickle.  At one time this was definitely
> the case, so we could write the (smaller) metadata file quicker and
> more often than dumping the whole thing out for each change in
> state.

I'm confused.  Currently, MM has a plain text file containing the
message headers/body and a marshal containing the metadata.

Are you saying that previously, the metadata was contained in the text
file, and the message headers/body in a pickle?

--
(http://tmda.net/)