[Mailman-Developers] Opening up a few can o' worms here...

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 17:25:18 -0700

On 7/16/02 5:11 PM, "Phil Barnett" <philb@philb.us> wrote:

> What would keep a spammer from using the reply mechanism to shuttle replies
> back as if they were individual replies?

It wouldn't. But as soon as that happens, that either gets blacklisted, or
the reply address invalidated and the subscriber issued a replacement. The
advantage being that if one subscriber gets harvested, ALL of them likely
are, so the server can act as a protective chokepoint here.

It's not so much we can stop it cold, but we can limit the exposure and
protect users from the results of being harvested. It gives us better
control and centralized power to protect users who struggle at protecting
themselves.

--
Chuq Von Rospach, Architech
chuqui@plaidworks.com -- http://www.chuqui.com/

Stress is when you wake up screaming and you realize you haven't fallen
asleep yet.