[Mailman-Developers] Opening up a few can o' worms here...

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Tue, 16 Jul 2002 16:34:17 -0700

On 7/16/02 2:42 PM, "Barry A. Warsaw" <barry@zope.com> wrote:

>   JWB> be something permission based with electronic signatures
>   JWB> involved, and some TMDA-like way to get started conversing
>   JWB> with someone.
>
> As mentioned before, SpamAssassin has gone a long way to making our
> python.org and zope.org addresses usable again.

Agreed, for now. But SA is, frankly, a cold war situation of constant
escalation. As you noted, Barry, some of you are forwarding through
python.org to avoid having to install it, and spam assassin requires
monitoring and upgrading. TMDA is sort of a fireaxe instead of a scalpel,
but it won't require fairly frequent tweaking to keep ahead of the spammers,
either.

I think SA for user accounts and TMDA for public accounts is the proper
setup if you can do it, but can you build Mailman to have a requirement for
Spam Assassin to be installed? Or should this be something that Mailman
takes responsibility for? That's really the question here.

> I'd really like to believe that a PKI based approach will work some
> day but I just seriously doubt it.  It doesn't pass the "my mom can
> use it" test and I don't think it ever will.

Oh, um...

<http://www.chuqui.com/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?tid=364>

--
Chuq Von Rospach, Architech
chuqui@plaidworks.com -- http://www.chuqui.com/

The first rule of holes: If you are in one, stop digging.