[Mailman-Developers] more snapshot woes...

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 01:55:11 -0500

    RJ> Ahhh.  Yet another python upgrade just for mailman :-).  Yup,
    RJ> still running 2.0... Ok, time to shelve mailman for a bit
    RJ> while we go hunt down python 2.1, and remember all the things
    RJ> we had to beat on to make it work the first time (since python
    RJ> has *never* compiled the way I want it the first time, not
    RJ> being on a linux box... Sigh.)

Python 2.1 /should/ be better than 2.0.  For one thing, you shouldn't
have to mess with the Setup file, since by default Python 2.1 will
auto-detect and build all the shared libraries it can.  It uses a new
build machinery that 2.0 didn't have, so it should be much less error
prone.  Of course, it's been a /long/ time since I did an install on
anything other than a Linux box (or the occasional *BSD box).

    RJ> Will 2.0* run fine on python 2.1?  I'll probably upgrade my
    RJ> production machines python sooner, rather than later, if I'm
    RJ> going to need to be doing it.

2.0.8 should run fine on anything from Python 1.5.2 to Python 2.2.  If
you're going to use Python 2.1, I'd recommend 2.1.2 which is the
latest patch release.

    RJ> BTW, install or update probably should note that the user has
    RJ> a installed Mailman/pythonlib and delete the apps, before that
    RJ> bites someone on the ass.  Or at least make a note in the
    RJ> upgrade instructions to go do it yourself.

bin/update should already zap an installed Mailman/pythonlib, but it
won't get called by default until I bump the version numbers.  For now
(running from cvs), manually run "bin/update -f".  You can't do any
harm from running this multiple times.

-Barry