[Mailman-Developers] Protecting email addresses from spam harvesters

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen@xemacs.org
26 Feb 2002 12:52:09 +0900

    John> I find this feature is handy for small, private lists.

Sure.  I have a couple that could be handled that way, but we just
defaulted them all off.  We post the names and addresses (they're
basically lists of project staff) on the home page, with mailtos and
fancy formatting, instead.  When the staff forget who handles what,
they use that interface, just like the clients do.  (It's voluntary,
they are warned about harvesting; nobody has refused yet.)

    John> I'd rather it was still around and just disabled by default
    John> with warning stickers all over it than we dumb down mailman

To me, it's not really an issue of dumbing down.  It would be easy
enough to do this with a separate app, so the question is "should a
deprecated feature continue to encruft MM?"