[Mailman-Developers] Protecting email addresses from spam harvesters

John Morton jwm@plain.co.nz
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 16:01:47 +1300

On Tuesday 26 February 2002 15:47, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:
> On 2/25/02 6:38 PM, "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@xemacs.org> wrote:
> >   BAW> 5) list rosters
> >
> > I don't know of any lists where these are available to the members,
> > let alone the public.
>
> You know, now that I think about it. Wihle I think Mailman now has this
> turned off by default (does it? If not, it should...), perhaps it's time to
> just make the option dead and buried, so that na�e list admins don't have
> the ability to open it up any more...

I find this feature is handy for small, private lists. I'd rather it was
still around and just disabled by default with warning stickers all over it
than we dumb down mailman to Fisher Price levels just in case some twit
exposes people to a greater likelihood of receiving junk mail. Perhaps it can
be made to be disabled in a site-wide fashion?

John