[Mailman-Developers] Interesting study -- spam on postedaddresses...

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Mon, 25 Feb 2002 10:25:49 -0500

    JRA> Spaminator.  You picked precisely the example I had in mind.
    JRA> If the masses *demand* solutions, those solutions *will*
    JRA> happen.

I tend to agree that the big ISPs will be forced by their users to put
up their own spam prevention solutions.  If the Earthlink ads are any
indication, such tools will in fact be major marketing positions.  I'd
actually be surprised if any major ISP wasn't actively spam filtering
for their customers.

That doesn't help the little guy like me who runs my own domain and
tools and spends a 1/2 hour (or more) every morning just deleting
spam, even while on vacation. :) And no itch is as persistent and
annoying as my own.

Having said that, there's still no reason why Mailman can't and
shouldn't do better, except perhaps for lack of resources <wink>.
I'll follow up shortly with some other thoughts in this thread.

-Barry