[Mailman-Developers] Interesting study -- spam on postedaddresses...

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 20:06:12 -0800

On 2/20/02 7:26 PM, "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra@baylink.com> wrote:

>> Show me the systems, jay, that work for real people, not us geeks that run
>> our own boxes on our own desks.
>
> Volvos are very safe, Toyotas are in the middle, sand rails are *just
> not safe at all*.

You're avoiding the issue. If you don't build the system so real people can
use it, real people won't. Which means they'll go use something else, so why
bother build this at all?

> Hotmail and Yahoo are jokes.  They're free; you take what you're paying
> for.

They're popular. And you ignored AOL, the 500 pound gorilla. Just because
you don't like them doesn't give you the right to tell others not to use
them, just to fit your idea of how this stuff ought to be done.

> Spaminator.  You picked precisely the example I had in mind.  If the
> masses *demand* solutions, those solutions *will* happen.

Oh, god. You're going to castrate mailman just to try to force users to take
up arms in your personal fight? Convince them to join. Don't destroy other
tools to try to coerce them into it.

Wrong attitude. Sory, I won't buy into it. You can't gut one tool to try to
force people into buying into a fight. They aren't stupid -- they don't buy
in, they go elsewhere. And I won't support your castrating mailman for a
personal agenda for how spam ought to be fought. I'm not interested in those
fights. I'm interested in building tools that get the right job done for
people.

> See above: no, some of those cases (specifically Yahoo and Hotmail) are
> in fact insoluble, but that's *Hotmail* and *Yahoo's* fault, and their
> user's problem.  AOL needs to solve it's own problem -- they've made
> the bed, their users are laying in it.  Deals with the devil never work
> out well.

Nope. Sorry. That's a copout.

--
Chuq Von Rospach, Architech
chuqui@plaidworks.com -- http://www.chuqui.com/

Very funny, Scotty. Now beam my clothes down here, will you?