[Mailman-Developers] current snapshot install...

Ron Jarrell jarrell@vt.edu
Sun, 24 Feb 2002 21:42:34 -0500

At 12:24 AM 2/24/02 -0500, you wrote:

>     RJ> Updated my snapshot, and was playing with install.  Install
>     RJ> *really* shouldn't depend on someone having installed a tar
>     RJ> that understands the "z" option.
>
>Yeah, I know that.  The command should be rewritten to use gunzip
>piping to tar.  Can we count on that existing some place?  If there
>are doubts, we can add a configure test w/ a warning if those progs
>are missing.

I'd imagine upwards of 90% of systems out there have gunzip.
Or maybe just use gzip -d.  It would, however, add another
required component, and this one just for one itty bit of the
install.  Honestly, since you're distributing everything as a compressed
tarball already, do really need to also compress email?  Just
ship it as a straight tar, or, better yet, ship it as an untarred tree...

>     RJ> And, given that the rest of the install stresses doing things
>     RJ> are yourself, it really shouldn't be trying to install the
>     RJ> email kit anyway - I've *never* installed mailman as something
>     RJ> that *could* install a new python module...
>
>That's the point of the change, Mailman does not (now) install the
>email package into some place that will affect your normal Python
>environment.  It installs it in a place that only Mailman will use.

Ah.  I didn't study the actual makefile commands far enough
to notice that.  I just the the "grumble grumble what in hell are you
doing barry grumble grumble" comment out the offending part
command... :-)