[Mailman-Developers] Interesting study -- spam on postedaddresses...

Jay R. Ashworth jra@baylink.com
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 20:38:51 -0500

On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 02:31:54PM -0800, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:
> 1) I think a tool like Mailman has to implement to the highest-reasonable
> security, so if people want to be looser, fine. It's easier to loosen the
> reins than expect JrandomeUser to implement extra features on an ad hoc
> basis. I also think a tool like Mailman ought to try to set a "best
> practices" model for how it operates. Mailman should set the standard for
> how we think mail lists ought to be run, not be the least common denominator
> that everyone has to hack extras into to make it fit their needs.

And, to clarify my opinion, I don't disagree with this in the least.

That doesn't mean I think it's *right*.

> 2) admins can set whatever policies they want -- but I think it's important
> they disclose them, so users can make informed choices. That includes,
> frankly, letting users know their addresses are potentially exposed to
> spammers, so if a user is sensitive to this, they can choose to not
> subscribe, or to leave the list.

*Definitely... but people should realize that that's a possibilty *any
time the give their address out*.

> I'm not telling admins what their policies need to be, but I do think
> Mailman needs to understand it's role as a "best practices" tool -- and I do
> feel strongly that whatever an admin does, they do so in a mode that
> involves informed consent with their users.

Surely.

Cheers,
-- jra
Tampa Bay, Florida        http://baylink.pitas.com             +1 727 647 1274

   "If you don't have a dream; how're you gonna have a dream come true?"
     -- Captain Sensible, The Damned (from South Pacific's "Happy Talk")