[Mailman-Developers] Interesting study -- spam on posted addresses...

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 00:06:34 -0800

On 2/18/02 7:21 AM, "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra@baylink.com> wrote:

>> All it takes is code. Volunteering? (grin)
>
> Because there's not a sufficiently strong method of authenticating that
> the person trying to change the address is actually the *user*?

So we get back to the core of the problem: until we get true authenticatable
e-mail addresses, everything we do is fingers in the dike. And even then,
I've had some long, technical dialogs with my elder gods of e-mail that have
convinced me that even a fully-implemented public-key auth system won't
solve all of the problems...

And I have only ten fingers, and ten toes.

--
Chuq Von Rospach (chuqui@plaidworks.com -- http://www.chuqui.com/)
Will Geek for hardware.

Very funny, Scotty. Now beam my clothes down here, will you?