[Mailman-Developers] Interesting study -- spam on posted addresses...

Jay R. Ashworth jra@baylink.com
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 13:37:10 -0500

On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 01:34:11PM -0500, Damien Morton wrote:
> What do you think, then, of rendering the text of the email into a GIF
> or somesuch.
>
> Combined with javascript, the clickable email functionality would be
> able to be retained, but for users without javascript functionality,
> they would have to read and type the email address manually.

I think it's about as worthless a solution as those 'Hey you! Don't
steal my pictures!' javascripts that pop up when I right click ... to
hit Back on the menu.

If the email address is in a user@domain.ext form *anywhere in the HTML
code that's returned*, I can sift it out.

You'll have to forgive me, but this sort of 'too-clever by all' solution
gives me hives.

Cheers,
-- jra
Tampa Bay, Florida        http://baylink.pitas.com             +1 727 647 1274

   "If you don't have a dream; how're you gonna have a dream come true?"
     -- Captain Sensible, The Damned (from South Pacific's "Happy Talk")