[Mailman-Developers] Interesting study -- spam onpostedaddresses...

Damien Morton dm-temp-310102@nyc.rr.com
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 16:07:31 -0500

> Chuq Von Rospach:
>
> On 2/18/02 11:58 AM, "Damien Morton"
>
> > The first is to enable users to engage list admins and have their
> > problems sorted out.
>
> Some form of obfuscating the email address is needed. But
> here's the problem. If you use a web-based form to send email
> to the admin, how do you email the admin to say "did you know
> your site is broken and none of your pages are working?"

I propose a web-based form _with_ an image rendered email address.

> If the form breaks, how do you contact the admin through the form?

Using the image rendered email address provided. You just cant click on
it.

One might want to make it obvious that the image is an image rather than
text, so that unwary users arent tempted to try cut and paste.

> > The second issue is to prevent the email addresses of list members
> > from being harvested from the archives.
>
> Short answer; archives go behind a password. You authenticate
> access. Don't go over-fancy with images and scan/replace
> stuff. Right now, I have a hardwired password. Once 2.1 hits
> beta, I plan on working towards a solution that authenticates
> in apache to a mailman-subscribed address. I simply haven't
> had time yet.

But we do want google et al to index the archives don't we? Ive found
myself joining all sorts of lists that I found googling for this or that
subject.

Put the raw mbox behind a reverse turing test. (See
http://www.captcha.net/ for the orginal idea). Make the rest publically
accessible, but with the actual email addresses obscured.