[Mailman-Developers] Interesting study -- spam on postedaddresses...

Daniel J. Cody djc@members.evolt.org
Mon, 18 Feb 2002 14:59:07 -0600 (CST)

Speaking of tradeoffs, it's my opinion that hiding archives behind a
password protection scheme for fear that the administrator, who probably
deals with oodles of email anyways and is probably the *most* experienced
person in regards to email filtering etc, is a poor one.

whew.

The archives for a list I run happen to get around 100K referers from
google a month, and again IMO, blocking those people out just because I'm
getting 5 spams a month doesn't seem like the best idea.. Mailing lists by
their nature facilitate communitcation between people, and shutting people
out of past or current communication to block out a small to moderate
amount of crap goes against that.

Instead of just waxing poetic, one solution I've come up with is to block
the spambots out from the archives, not the users. Using Apache to Stop
Spambots:
http://evolt.org/article/mmdev/18/15126/index.html

I've just finished the follow up to that article and it will hopefully get
published today. It deals with some of the concerns people brought up
regarding User-Agents..
If anyones interested, I'll fwd it on when its live.

As an aside, how many that run 'larger' lists get a lot of spam? Using the
same email address for list-admin going on 3 years now, I can probably
count on my fingers and toes how many spams I've gotten to that address.

At any rate, I know what you're saying Chuq, just wanted to offer the
counter-point ;)

Dan