[Mailman-Developers] Bug #596565, mailman should use alphabetic U/GIDs

Barry A. Warsaw barry@zope.com
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 10:07:33 -0400

    NB> Barry A. Warsaw <barry@zope.com> wrote:

    >> Does this patch help make building, distributing, and moving
    >> Mailman easier for folks?

    NB> Yes, definately.  A major server with lots of Mailman installs
    NB> died on us recently due to hardware problems.  I had to do an
    NB> emergency move which got much more messy than expected because
    NB> I hadn't realised in time that all those wrapper scrips have
    NB> the numeric GID's compiled into them.  (The symbolic GID's are
    NB> identical on both machines, but the numeric GID's weren't.)

Cool.  That's what I'm hoping.  Can anybody see any security problems
with this approach?  I'm having a hard time seeing any holes, so I
think it's a win.

Oh BTW, the new (experimental) maildir delivery approach would also
improve the independence by eliminating the mail wrapper at least.

-Barry