[Mailman-Developers] Bug #596565, mailman should use alphabetic U/GIDs

Norbert Bollow nb@cisto.com
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 10:31:46 +0200

Barry A. Warsaw <barry@zope.com> wrote:

> Does this patch help make building, distributing, and moving Mailman
> easier for folks?

Yes, definately.  A major server with lots of Mailman installs died on
us recently due to hardware problems.  I had to do an emergency move
which got much more messy than expected because I hadn't realised in
time that all those wrapper scrips have the numeric GID's compiled
into them.  (The symbolic GID's are identical on both machines, but
the numeric GID's weren't.)

Greetings, Norbert.

--
Founder & Steering Committee member of http://gnu.org/projects/dotgnu/