[Mailman-Developers] Anti-spam "killer app"?

Barry A. Warsaw barry@python.org
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 18:39:17 -0400

    CVR> <http://www.paulgraham.com/spam.html>

    CVR> It's a new technique for identifying spam. The more I look
    CVR> into the details, the more I think we have the "anti-spam
    CVR> killer app", becaues it tunes itself to the individual (or
    CVR> site), adapts as the anti-spammers adapt, and the technique
    CVR> used is fairly easy to implement and damn difficult for a
    CVR> spammer to avoid....

    CVR> Damn, I wish I'd thought of this.

Indeed, and from the article...

    > I don't know why I avoided trying the statistical approach for so
    > long. I think it was because I got addicted to trying to identify
    > spam features myself, as if I were playing some kind of competitive
    > game with the spammers. (Nonhackers don't often realize this, but
    > most hackers are very competitive.)

Of course you have to realize that 83% of hackers have no idea what
a statistical approach means <.532 wink>.  :)

On a serious note, who's gonna hack up the Python code for an MM2.1
prototype handler module?

-Barry