[Mailman-Developers] bin/arch: a bug or not?

Barry A. Warsaw barry@python.org
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 12:50:45 -0400

    >> SP> Is this the intended behaviour?
    >> IMO, no, but it's the way it's worked for ages.

    SP> it could be a mitigating factor for people forced to rebuild
    SP> the archive, becase having the old messages in place you can
    SP> still serve people coming through external search engines (at
    SP> the cost of wasting disk space).

If I want to regenerate from scratch (as I do when I'm hacking on the
scrubber :), I've always just blown away archives/private/<listname>/*
and then re-run bin/arch.

A related question is whether you'll always get the same message
numbers when you regenerate from scratch.  I think you would, but
haven't checked.  Caveat doing something like bin/cleanarch over an
old archive. ;(

    SP> I think this behaviour could be documented as a feature :)

Best would be to add a switch to bin/arch to do a regen from scratch.

-Barry