[Mailman-Developers] Unsubscribing and legal action. :)

Terri Oda terri@zone12.com
Mon, 08 Apr 2002 15:21:20 -0400

At 08:48 PM 05/04/02 -0800, you wrote:
>I like that, maybe it also means that I won't have to deal with this anymore
> > failingwhich I will be contrained to initiate appropriate legal action as
> > may be advised.

I know, it's horrible, but I had to laugh at the messages you get, Marc. :)

I haven't had any legal threats, but I do notice that even when people go
to the listinfo page, they read the headers for each section and miss that
"unsubscribe" is under ".* Subscribers".

I don't get the impression that people are really thinking of themselves as
subscribers when they want "off-this-list-NOW!!!", so it's a bit
non-intuitive for an apparently common mindset.

I'm glad to see the "Unsubscribe or edit options" button in 2.1, but I
think maybe putting "Unsubscribe" in the title-thing might be a good idea
(eg: .* Subscribers [Unsubscribe, Edit Options]) or making a separate
"Unsubscribing from *" section with just a simple address/pw pair of boxes
and a "send me my password" button. (hm, I should patch this myself.  It
would save me some grief, I think.)

Actually, the latter is probably a *lot* better usability-wise, if I recall
the last lecture on usability I attended.  As programmers, we tend to want
to avoid repetition, but as a user, you generally want to find something in
the first place you look.  It's not like it really makes a huge difference
to have such a commonly required form duplicated, will it?

Apologies if this has already been debated to death!

  Terri