[Mailman-Developers] SF bug report #223533

Norbert Bollow nb@thinkcoach.com
Sat, 6 Apr 2002 11:02:20 +0200

Barry A. Warsaw <barry@zope.com> wrote:

> So, to summarize, my proposal is:

>   both postings and admin messages.
>
> - List-Help:, List-Subscribe:, List-Unsubscribe:, and List-Post: are
>   added only to postings.  (Oh, and optionally List-Archive:).

Yup.  Makes sense.

Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui@plaidworks.com> wrote:

> > It makes sense to me.  If I were writing some filter on messages, I'd
> > look for the List-ID to figure out which list this message pertains
> > to, then I'd look for List-Post to see if this were a list posting or
> > an admin message (it's absence would mean "admin message").
>
> That's easy in procmail. In most gui clients, it's impossible.

This can be addressed by filtering on the Sender: header.  My
reading of the RFC is that we should add a well-defined Sender:
header to admin messages that we create, e.g.

Sender: mailman-owner@example.com

while we shouldn't add such a header for outgoing list mail.

Greetings, Norbert.

--
A founder of the http://DotGNU.org project and Steering Committee member
Tel +41 1 972 20 59       Fax +41 1 972 20 69      http://thinkcoach.com